Friday, September 19, 2008

Tate Modern

After work, I went to the Tate Modern with a few others because it closes at 10pm on Fridays. Tate Modern is a contemporary art museum that houses exhibits from the late 1800s to the present. Some of the exhibitions are really strange...like a pile of metal in a white room...and people stand there and stare at it as if it's the greatest piece of art. Yeah, I don't understand modern art...too strange for me. There was a room with really bloody pictures of a man getting his penis cut off. Then, the blood was used to paint on a canvas - and it was just like blood on a canvas, no design, no tessellations, no anything. Yeah, I don't know why torture must be involved and I don't understand why that is considered "art"...just a splash of blood...yuck! I guess that's why most artists are always high...I don't think they would understand their own art if they were sober...heh......


This is the Tate Modern - which is in Southwark and it's on the "other" side of River Thames.

Strange design huh? Well, it used to be a power plant.

Front of the building.

Looking across the Thames is St. Paul's Cathedral - and it's connected by the Millennium Bridge.

Sunset in London.

Can't really take pictures inside the exhibition halls - this is one of the corridors..

They were closing...

Another night view of London...

There were pubs along the bank so we had a couple of drinks at one of the pubs...

Us girls on the Millennium Bridge...walking across to St. Paul's tube station.

St. Paul's by night.

Tate Modern is interesting, but it's really not for me. I think I would appreciate more in museums such as the National Gallery or the Louvre with famous paintings that we have seen in books or movies and are actually a picture keeping a piece of history. I'm not saying Contemporary Arts does not, but I was not taught to look at a pile of old metal and think of it as an event in history...I don't know, it's just not me. However, it was still an interesting place to visit.

2 comments:

Cinnie said...

Agreed! Modern art is difficult to understand unless you know the artist well. Not my cup of tea!
Are you warm in your coat!

Jevon Lam said...

Wow Bernice, you're hanging out with only girls? Such a change haha.