Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hampton Court Palace

Today, we went to Hampton Court Palace which is in Richmond so we had to take a train there. We took a train from Waterloo station all the way to Hampton Court Station.

We took the this train to Hampton Court.

I know Kel likes to take pictures of her tickets - so I copied her.

We're here! It was only a 30 minute ride!

Walking to the Hampton Court Palace from the station.

Aimee and Jamie saw soft-serve and they just had to stop for some...that chocolate is a Cadbury bar!

On the way there....so peaceful...it's nice to get out of the city for a while...

Yay, we're here! Well, it's only a 5-minute walk from the station. Hampton Court Palace was first the summer residence of Henry VIII, then William and Mary, and then George III and Caroline. The palace first belonged to Thomas Wolsey and the Henry VIII started making this his summer residence and he made a series restoration. Afterward, King William and Queen Mary started making this their summer residence. Lastly, George III and Caroline were the last to stay at this palace and they extended the palace and called their residence the Georgian House.

It was a gloomy morning.

This is the kitchen area near the entrance.

Student price, yay!

That's Henry VIII's state apartment.

That's the Georgian House - residence of George III and Caroline.

That's the fountain in the courtyard.

The weather was getting better! Again...Henry VIII's state apartment and that clock is an astrological clock.

This area is called the Clock Court.

The Tudor kitchen.

More..

The Tudor kitchen area..

This palace is known for its ghost....creeeepy!

The garden - it's so beautiful!!

View of the palace from the garden.

Side view...and the weather was so nice!

This is the Pivy Garden and it was William and Mary's garden.

Side view of William and Mary's apartments.


so green....so peaceful

There's a pretty famous maze as well...so I decided to try it out.

So many paths...

Decisions...decisions....and I was able to complete.

By the time we left, the weather was so nice....so I took another picture of the palace from the entrance.


We went down to the little town to grab some late lunch and we went to this pub called The Albion.

They ran out of fish & chips so I ordered the scampi and chips! It was SOOOOOO good!!! I didn't eat the peas though...haha

The weather was great and the palace was worth my £12. Now, I need to go back and brush up on my history on Henry VIII, William, and George III.....

7 comments:

Jevon Lam said...

Your pictures are making me very jealous btw...

And that ice cream doesn't look like it works. Silly Britons...

mfle02 said...

nice pics ber. the place looks very interesting.

danceloveandraine said...

the ice cream looks delicious =p

Cinnie said...

A very nice blog, Bernice.
It seems I am visiting London with you. I enjoy reading it very much.

Unknown said...

the train has the same color as the mtr east-rail trains... nice... the grass at the palace is so green... awesome...

kelly said...

wow ber! looks fun! You'll have to take me there when I come and then I can take pictures of the tickets :)

Annie said...

I also want to read something about Henry VIII and the others too. They seemed very familiar to me.