Monday, August 25, 2008

Notting Hill Carnival

Today is a bank holiday and every year since 1965, the Sunday and the bank holiday in August right after marks the annual Notting Hill Carnival. The Notting Hill Carnival is the second largest street carnival in the world, right after the Carnival in Rio de Janeiro. It is led by the Carribean population in London. Basically, it's just a huge street party with parade, food, Reggae, drunk people, sexy woman, and random partiers all over the area. I must say, it was CRAZY and I've never seen anything like this before!!

It's too hard to explain in words...but in a nutshell, these are the highlights:


When you think of a carnival...you would think of rides, the Ferris wheel, Merry-go-round, booth games, clowns, and kids...nope, not this one....

That's the map of the carnival....even with the map, we were still pretty lost...haha

London Metropolitan Police at work...heh

Parade dancers...


Sexy costumes!!

Caribbean food - Jerk Chicken w/ rice & peas

Curry goat w/ rice & peas

peanut cake

there were so many helicopters above the carnival...

my flatmate Earl showing his Aruba Pride....and neighbor Samoa and JD in the back

Walking down towards Portobello Rd...there were a lot of street vendors selling all kinds of food.

At the infamous Portobello Rd in Notting Hill!

More food...this was some kind of Jamaican Dumpling, I think.

Residents just chilling outside their windows...

The streets were filled with people!

DJ on a float...just playing music and people are just dancing like crazy...

An ocean of people

I thought this was a nice float.

Some people were just selling stuff out of their flats...the smartest are selling their toilets out for £1 and it's only offered to the ladies.

We got stuck in one of the street parties...so we decided to just start dancing w/ them...haha

We went to the other side...and there were more people...omg

Some guy was just dancing out of his flat....crazy guy

This is only a small pile...

Another one of those block parties we got stuck at...haha

rollerskating dancers!....they were awesome!

This carnival is known for its riot between the goers and the police...and there were PoPo's everywhere...even on a horse...!


WHAO....what and I say, it was one of the craziest day in London so far!! I am so sore and I'm starting work tomorrow. I hope I can get up on time, aiyah!!

1 comment:

sample said...

Ur flat looks cute! the building is so pretty, in comparison, we really dun have much history here in Monterey Park, hahahahaa~ and i love dat pound store, no kids allowed!! and the CCTV thing is so cooool!! i saw one in one of ur Notting Hill Carnival pic too! WOW~