Friday, August 22, 2008

Maida Vale, London

As I have mentioned earlier, the area I'm staying at is called Maida Vale and it's in the west of London. I've been told many times by many people that this is a great area to live in and people pay good money just to live in this area. Yesterday, I walked around the area a little and tried to find out where I'll be moving into next week.


This is the canal that runs through the area..aka Little Venice.

It's a pretty nice and peaceful area.

People here are balla status w/ nice cars.

The UK government provides health care for its citizens and residents and us interns benefit from it too. However, in order to use the service, we have to register with the a local GP (General Physician), which is just like a family doctor. Since most doctors' offices are only opened on weekdays from 9-6, I went in and registered today so I don't have to take any time off next week to do that. I searched on the NHS (National Health Service) website and found one that is pretty close and is opened until 6:30pm.



Public healthcare may not provide the absolute best service (waiting list, short office hours, doctors' patient quota, generic medicine, etc.) and many services are not 100% paid for, but it's great that the government can provide healthcare to its taxpayers. Back in US, even with insurance, everything is so costly and families often face financial hardships from paying medical bills. Even though the hours for the medical offices are short, it's free healthcare; I'm not going to complain.

1 comment:

Cinnie said...

Seems like you enjoyed very much exploring your neighbourhood and you did a very good job.

Interesting blog. I enjoy reading and sharing your feeling in experience a new lifestyle and a new job challenge.

Keep us informed once you start your work. I believe you'll feel like an alien in a non-US set up. Have fun!